Vehicle Forfeiture and DWI in Minneapolis

Minneapolis DWI Attorney

If you’ve been arrested for DWI, one of the consequences you will face is being forced to forfeit your vehicle during the arrest. Even if this is your first DWI and you have no prior criminal record, the state may move to permanently keep your vehicle. If your vehicle has been seized by the authorities, immediately contact a Minneapolis DWI lawyer. Time is extremely critical as you only have a narrow window between your arrest and when you forfeit your rights to the car forever.

Martin Law Offices is experienced with helping people successfully challenge the seizure of their vehicle and will provide you with legal support throughout the process. Attorney Martin understands the major disruption to your daily life that accompanies not having access to your vehicle and will work relentlessly to help you petition the state for its return.

Threatened with forfeiting your vehicle?

After the state seizes your car or truck, you may receive a notice from the District Attorney’s office informing you of the time frame that you have to file a petition for its return. If you fail to meet the deadline they provide, you will forfeit your rights to the vehicle and the state will keep it. Some of the situations that can cause the state to seize your vehicle are:

  • Previous felony DWI conviction
  • Two prior DWI convictions in the past 10 years
  • You were involved in an accident that caused injuries to another person
  • You were driving with a suspended or revoked license at the time of the accident
  • You were arrest for child endangerment and had a blood alcohol content of at least 0.02 percent

Having to forfeit your vehicle can substantially impact your life. It can affecting your ability to conduct critical life tasks like going to work and taking care of other responsibilities, as well as severely damage your finances because you must purchase another automobile.

Contact a Minneapolis DWI attorney when facing the possibility of having to forfeit your vehicle.