Understanding Your Rights
Legal Assistance for Criminal Charges in Minneapolis
As a citizen of the United States, you are entitled to several inalienable rights. Protecting yourself against unjust prosecution and unlawful targeting by a law enforcement agency are the most important rights to recognize when faced with criminal charges, however. If you are unsure of your rights, you cannot be sure when they are being violated, so it is important to contact a Minneapolis criminal defense lawyer for more information on how to protect yourself against unfair treatment.
When facing any type of criminal charges, it is important to know that you possess certain rights:
- You have the right to remain silent
- You have the right to be informed of any charges being waged against you
- You have the right to consult with an attorney
- You have the right to refuse a field sobriety test
- You can request independent testing for blood alcohol concentration
- You can contest the suspension or revocation of your driver's license
- You are presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt
- You have the right to confront any witnesses
- You have the right to examine any evidence being used against you in your trial
- You have the right to challenge probable cause
- You can subpoena witnesses to testify on your behalf during your trial or a hearing
- You have the right to interview law enforcement witnesses prior to your trial, and to compel their deposition if they fail to cooperate
Without knowledge of these rights, it leaves the opportunity for law enforcement agencies to take advantage of you. Also, when being arrested, you must be read your Miranda Rights, which inform you of your basic rights against self-incrimination. These stated rights, however, do not encompass all areas of the law that may affect you in your case, so it is absolutely necessary to obtain the qualified assistance of a criminal defense attorney before proceeding any further after your arrest.
Fighting your Charges with a Minneapolis Criminal Defense Attorney
No one understands the extent of citizens' rights better than a criminal defense lawyer from Martin Law Offices. Our firm is knowledgeable in all areas of criminal defense law, and can educate you on your rights as a defendant. Matthew T. Martin, the founder of Martin Law Offices, is ready to fight aggressively for your rights and will not stop until he has done everything he can to bring favorable results for your case. Time is of the essence when handling serious criminal charges, so do not wait any longer to seek the qualified assistance you will need to defend yourself against the penalties of a conviction.
Contact a Minneapolis criminal defense attorney today to schedule a free case evaluation.